Wednesday, June 05, 2013

FUNNELicious!

OLA! I am so backkkkk!!
  Sorry guys for being such an ma-MIA blogger. :( It's just that I am so much enjoying the summer that I become too lazy to blog already. Teehee! Umm do you guys have any idea what I'm gonna share right now? (DUH Gherella) =)) Anyway, I'm gonna share you all how to make a Funnel Cake! YAAAAAY! 

BTW, what is a Funnel Cake? According to Wikipedia: Funnel Cake or Funny Cake is a regional food popular in North America at carnivals, fairs, sporting events, and seaside resorts. (OHHH.) In North America, funnel cakes were originally associated with the Pennsylvania Dutch region.

I actually got this idea (making a Funnel Cake) when I was browsing pictures in the Instagram. A batch-mate of mine who's based in Canada right now posted a picture of him eating a Funnel Cake. That was midnight already when I saw it and I instantly craved for it. I remember when I was I think 14.. this was my favorite dessert in the Old Spaghetti House, which they called the Funnel Cake as Fried Spaghetti Cake (QTPi, isn't?) So yeah I was craving that I decided to search how to make one instead of buying and ordering. So the next day, I bought the ingredients and excitedly make a Funnel Cake! But unfortunately when I was about to fried it, the batter slipped off my hands. (I know right! What a clumsy me! Ughh.) Mission failed! Huhuhu. But that didn't make me give up on making a Funnel Cake! 'Cause I am so craving for it na nga talaga. =)))))))))) So yesterday I tried to make one again. Slowly and surely. Hihi. 

Here's the ingredients that I used (Sorry for the messy background):


1/4 teaspoon of Iodized Salt (It's up to you which salt you're gonna use); 1 cup of Alaska Evaporada Milk (Any milk will do); 1 tablespoon of Calumet Baking Powder (Any baking powder will do, too); 1/2 teaspoon of McCormick Vanilla Extract; 2 Eggs; 3 cups of All-Purpose Flour (Actually the one I'll be using sana is the Cream All-Purpose Flour. But since I only bought 1 box of it and used it all when I first tried making the Funnel Cake, I just bought a flour from a Suki Store =)))))); 1 cup of Water; 1/4 cup of Sugar; 2 cups of Superior AA Cassava Powder; and a Peotraco Confectioners' Powdered Sugar!

So the first thing we'll do is that in a large bowl, we'll beat the 2 eggs. Add 1 cup of water, milk and 1/2 tsp of Vanilla. Must blend the 4 ingredients well.

Second, is to combine the 3 cups of all-purpose flour, 1/4 cup of sugar, 1 tbsp of baking powder and the 1/4 tsp of salt.
Then we're gonna mix the first batch of blended ingredients to the second one...
Afterwards, put on the 2 cups of Cassava Powder (Actually, it is not included in the main ingredients. My mom just told me to put that on to make the batter more thicker and have a Cassava flavor.)
After mixing it all up, I used the Ziploc Plastic Bag ('Cause I can't find our funnel.. But you can also use the Disposable Piping Bags or a liquid measuring cup!)
Are you ready? :) =))

So in a deep-fat fryer, we must heat oil to 375*. After heating the fryer, put on the batter in a spiral motion. Pour it gently and fry until golden brown!
TADAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

That's it! We're so done!
Can you smell the smooth sweet aroma of it while being cook? Ahhh!
(Parang fried isaw ung itsura nya, e no? =))))
Easy, mickey huh! And oh, make sure to drain it on a paper towel for it not to be so oily. Then dust it with the most awaited confectioners' sugar and serve warm!

Here's the result of what the Funnel Cake I made!
Yum yum yum!!!

BTW, when you fried it well it tastes like a cookie brittle! :)
You can also put on some toppings to make it more delicious! What I did to mine was I put on some strawberry jam (all the way from Baguio) and a condense milk.
Heart-shaped bunch of strawberry jam, aye aye!
And for the next batch of the Funnel Cake's topping I made, I put on some boiled bananas in sweet syrup which is famously known in our country as "Minatamis na Saging" and dust on some Hershey Cocoa Chocolate Powder!

See? You can put on any sweet toppings in a Funnel Cake! Actually, my idea was to topped it off with an ice cream and a whipped cream but unfortunately we don't have any of it. :(

Anyway, so what do you guys think of my Funnel Cake? :) You should try making one at home especially when you have guests around, this is just as easy as how to make a pancake! I'm sure the one who'll taste your Funnel Cake will be so grateful. Sabi nga nila, "Babalik-balikan!"
Enjoy, chickenjoy! =))

Thought For The Day:
"You always have a place to run to, always. The place is GOD."


No comments:

Post a Comment